[kdepim-users] IMAP shared mailboxes: issues with kmail?

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Tue Jan 20 21:14:12 GMT 2009

Am Dienstag 20 Januar 2009 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> On Monday 19 January 2009, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > are there any known issues with symlinked-shared-mailboxes and
> > kmail?
> >
> > I use dovecot with virtual users (LDAP), so there are no
> > unix-permissions related
> > problems here: all mailboxes are owned by the local user vmail.
> >
> > Each user maildir has some symlinks to shared mailboxes. This
> > works fine if I use squirrelmail as a MUA.
> >
> > kmail instead seems to have some problems: if I save a mail into
> > the shared-folder, the other users are seeing this new mail
> > almost immediately. But if I delete(!) a mail from the
> > shared-folder, the list of the other kmails remains untouch.
> > Refreshing does nothing. I have to close kmail and restart.
> >
> > Is this related to some sort of wrong config of the shared
> > mailboxes or is this a (known) dovecot <-> kmail problem?
>
> KMail does not watch its folder storage for changes. So it is by
> design (we wanted to keep it simple) that a running KMail does not
> notice all changes done by other processes.

If I turn on "auto-expunge=true" the mail-files in the MDA-storage
(MDA=dovecot) are deleted, but only if I select the INBOX in KMail
instance which did the deletion. In this case the other KMails
instance see the changes if they refresh the list.

This would be fine, if I hadn't select the INDOX. It would be better
if the expunging takes place immediately or after a timeout /
refresh-timeval.

--
Wilhelm