[kdepim-users] strigi indexing taking a looong time

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Feb 26 12:30:28 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009, Bud Rogers wrote:
> Hi all, I'm new to the list.  Last evening I got soprano/nepomuk/strigi
> working.  Of course strigi immediately started indexing.  It has been
> running about 20 hours now, at or near 100% cpu on a 3GHz Athlon.
>
> The data files are currently  about 9% of the total usage on the drive.
> Granted I have most of kde trunk in my home directory, set up more or less
> as outlined on techbase.  Strigi has been indexing .../kdesvn/ for most of
> the day.
>
> Just curious if it's normal for it to be taking that long and that much
> space, or do I need to tweak things?

This depends a lot on the Nepomuk storage backend being used.
There is one called redland which is quite slow but easier to package for
distributors so it is often the default.
There is another one called Sesame2 which is a lot faster but more complicated
to package.

Sebastian TrĂ¼g, Nepomuk-KDE's main developer, wrote a blog recently announcing
a third backend based on Virtuoso (IIRC). which should combine the advantage
of the other two.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring