[kdepim-users] Getting rid of Group Header

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Mon Feb 16 21:28:39 GMT 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009 02:50:31 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2009 16:55:45 John Aldrich wrote:
> > On Monday 16 February 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > As far as I know, nothing like that is hard-coded.  Calm down, John :-)
> > > Try this.
> > >
> > > Have you found the Aggregation icon?  Second from the right after the
> > > search bar.  Select Activity by Date, Threaded.  Then hit Configure.
> > > On the Groups, Threads and Sorting tab, set Groups to None.  Set
> > > Threading to Perfect by Reference and Subject.  While you're there, see
> > > if there's anything else you want to change.
> > >
> > > The more options we have, the more we need complex ways of changing
> > > them. Sad, but true.
> >
> > <rant>
> > Thanks, Anne. However, I would like to know who's brilliant idea it was
> > to make grouping the default? I mean, if it ain't broke, why fix it? I
> > realize that there are likely people who are glad that KMail looks so
> > much more like Microsoft LookOut... err... Outlook out of the box, so to
> > speak, and that's fine, but whose brilliant idea was it to make that the
> > default look "out of the box"?
> >
> > I agree, it's nice to have more configuration options, but why did they
> > have to hide it all in three or four different places? Why not just have
> > it all under Tools ->"Configure KMail"? That's the *logical* place for
> > all that, but now we have to go to a bunch of different places to
> > configure the look / feel of KMail. IMNSHO, that's poor design, and
> > whoever came up with that plan ought to be forced to go work for
> > Microsoft if they like the Microsoft approach to configuration so much!
> > </rant!>
> >
> > Seriously, why does it have to be so difficult to just have a plain,
> > simple threaded message list? Is that too much to ask? Sheesh!
> >
> > For this outrage, I sentence the offending programmer(s) to 1 year
> > debugging Microsoft code! ;-)
>
> I neither know nor care what Microsoft's application looks like.  I have
> never used it.  Come to think of it, I think the only M$ application I've
> ever used was my grandson's package with which he made birthday cards, as a
> child.  What is more to the point is that many people have appreciated the
> changes.  They don't suit me, but as long as I can switch them off, that's
> OK.  Any sentencing I do will be on people who want everyone to work their
> way :-)
>
> Anne

Oh yeah?  I'd _still_ like to know how to turn off that arbitrary packing of
message areas that happens whenever the heck it decides to,  whether I want
it to or not.  Granted,  it's not quite as much of an enumbrance on this 1
GHz machine as it was on the 500 MHz machine I was using before,  but there
are still times when I'm typing and it gets interrupted,  or when I start
typing and I have to wait a while before any of it appears on the screen.
It's a wait,  it's wasting my time,  and it's bloody unnecessary,
particularly since it seems to pack folders that I've only _written_ to,  and
not deleted anything from!  That got put in a few versions back,  and there's
no bloody way to turn it off,  and it's bloody annoying!

[/rant]

-
M Dakin