[kdepim-users] Creating directory folders with kmail (disconnected IMAP)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 20:34:50 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009, Pavel Laskov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to create directory folders using an disconnected IMAP
> client in kmail? I am using KMail version 1.9.10 (KDE 3.5.10) with a
> UW server and could only create file folders (i.e. for holding
> messages rather than folders). When I tested a regular (online) IMAP
> client against the same server, I was offered a prompt whether I
> wanted a folder to contain messages or folders. For the dimap
> account, a message folder was created automatically without any
> prompt. As a result, any attempt to create subfolders ended in error
> messages a la "Cannot create folder; authorization failed". This
> happened regardless of whether a folder was created online or
> offline.
>
> Is this a bug or a feature? Or is it a problem with a specific
> version/server combination?

It's a problem with the way the UW IMAP server handles folders. In my
opinion, it's broken by design that a folder can either hold message or
subfolders, but not both. I had a quick look at KMail's source code.
KMail doesn't seem to support creation of folders holding subfolders.
(I do remember seeing a prompt like the one you have seen with another
client, but I probably didn't see it with KMail.) So, I guess, you'll
have to use this other client for creating folders holding subfolders.
I hope you'll still use KMail for anything else.

BTW, if you have a choice then don't use a UW IMAP server. We have
received many reports about problems with this server, much more than
for any other IMAP server.