[kdepim-users] Migrating all PIM data - email, contacts, calendars from 3.x to 4.x?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 22:59:32 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2009 19:35:39 JW wrote:
> > I use KDE 3.5 / KMail / Kontact.
> >
> > I have tons of addresses, contacts, some calendars, other things.
> >
> > I'm trying to find some info on migrating them all to KDE 4.2
> >
> > At the very least I must be able to move my email and contacts.
> >
> > A few quick web searches are not turning up any information,
> > perhaps I'm searchign for the wrong thing.
> >
> > Where can I find documentation on this subject?
>
> You can continue to use the same contacts and organizers, just by
> copying the relevant sections of ~/.kde.  You don't say which distro
> this is.  If it is one that has kde3 and kde4  simultaneously, you
> will copy from ~/.kde to ~/.kde4 - you may even find that it is done
> for you.
>
> This will not be using akonadi based resources.  I think there have
> been some problems reported in migrating, so I'd recommend sticking
> with the older versions until we have some clear guidance on how to
> safely migrate.

Those problems have been resolved before the final release of KDE 4.2.0.
Your address books and calendars will automatically be imported in
Akonadi. This will make them available in KPilot. The other KDE PIM
applications (Kontact, KAddressBook, KOrganizer, KMail, etc.) will
continue to use the address books and calendars through the old
mechanism. If you don't use KPilot, then nothing will change for you
compared to KDE 3.5 or KDE 4.1.