[kdepim-users] Recent Changes to KMail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Feb 16 21:27:37 GMT 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009, John Aldrich wrote:
> Why do people insist on "fixing" things that aren't broken and
> obscuring how to change things back the way they were before?
>
> I have been fighting with KMail for the past few days to change the
> message list display to the way it has always looked since I started
> using linux back before there was such a thing as Fedora Core (I
> think it was RedHat 5.) Suddenly last week, KMail crashed on me and
> when it came back, it looked nothing like it used to.
>
> I tried just about every setting I could think of to get a threaded
> display back, and the closest I could come was "Current Activity by
> Date, threaded." Finally, out of desperation today, I tried "Standard
> Mailing List" and voila', I finally got the display I was wanting, or
> something approximating it.
>
> Why on earth did the KDEPIM people decide they had to completely
> change the default look of KMail?

It's called progress, evolution (no pun intended), or whatever you want
to call to. KMail's look has always evolved over time. The only
difference is that this time the changes are a bit more obvious.

> Would it have been so hard to keep the old look as the default and let
> people change and customize it?

To be honest, I think the decision to change the default look was the
right decision. What is lacking is an easy way to change back to the
classic look of KMail in KDE 4.1.