[kdepim-users] Getting rid of Group Header

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 16:55:45 GMT 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:

> As far as I know, nothing like that is hard-coded.  Calm down, John :-)
> Try this.
>
> Have you found the Aggregation icon?  Second from the right after the
> search bar.  Select Activity by Date, Threaded.  Then hit Configure.  On
> the Groups, Threads and Sorting tab, set Groups to None.  Set Threading
> to Perfect by Reference and Subject.  While you're there, see if there's
> anything else you want to change.
>
> The more options we have, the more we need complex ways of changing
> them. Sad, but true.

<rant>
Thanks, Anne. However, I would like to know who's brilliant idea it was to
make grouping the default? I mean, if it ain't broke, why fix it? I realize
that there are likely people who are glad that KMail looks so much more
like Microsoft LookOut... err... Outlook out of the box, so to speak, and
that's fine, but whose brilliant idea was it to make that the default look
"out of the box"?

I agree, it's nice to have more configuration options, but why did they have
to hide it all in three or four different places? Why not just have it all
under Tools ->"Configure KMail"? That's the *logical* place for all that,
but now we have to go to a bunch of different places to configure the look /
feel of KMail. IMNSHO, that's poor design, and whoever came up with that
plan ought to be forced to go work for Microsoft if they like the Microsoft
approach to configuration so much!
</rant!>

Seriously, why does it have to be so difficult to just have a plain, simple
threaded message list? Is that too much to ask? Sheesh!

For this outrage, I sentence the offending programmer(s) to 1 year debugging
Microsoft code! ;-)