[kdepim-users] Importing rather than moving mail?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 20 09:48:58 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 23:04:01 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I've had an exchange today with a guy who wanted to move his mail
> > from  distro that must be 2-3 years old - back in the days when the
> > defult destination was ~/Mail - to a current distro with KDE 4.  I'm
> > not sure I've got the sequence of events right, but he tried copying
> > the mail to the new destination, and he tried importing it.  He ended
> > up with an odd display in the folder list panel, and nothing in the
> > message list or message preview panels.  Eventually he set about
> > removing kmail altogether to get a clean start.
> >
> > In the end he did manage to import the mail, so he's puzzled, but
> > satisfied. Meanwhile, I've not heard of this before.  Are there some
> > circumstances where just copying your mail folders to the new
> > destination won't work?  I don't want to be giving bad advice on
> > this.
>
> I think it should work. Instead of copying the mail folders to the new
> destination under ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail he could have simply changed
> the folders entry in the [General] section in kmailrc to
> folders=$HOME/Mail
>
> FWIW, my mail is still in $HOME/Mail.

The same person is still having problems.  Today he says
<quote>
Spoke too soon. I got it to read the imported mail, and it receives
mail, BUT I CANNOT get it to send mail. It is configured exactly the
same as another kmail/2008.1 on another box that does work. Quick test
with Opera mail - it can send fine, as can claws. Why not kmail? It
looks like kmail was REALLY messed up by the read of the copied files.
</quote>

I can't see why attempting to import his mail would affect a configuration
file.  OTOH, nor do I know where the 'Sending' configuration is held.

Suggestions, please?

Anne