[kdepim-users] Still having encoding problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 20:43:01 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 20:33:54 phep wrote:
> Anne Wilson a écrit :
> > I'm flabbergasted!  So an English company sends out English email to
> > English customers, using an encoding that will make no sense to them?
> >
> > KMail didn't get it wrong - the headers say charset="iso-8859-1".  I
> > guess they've just got a new Windows install :-)
>
> Sorry, I made a copy/paste error in my previous message : I meant
> "ISO-8859-1 displayed as ISO-8859-15".
>
> According to what you observed, it's KMail's fault as I considered
> previously. ISO-8859-15 is mainly used for it introduced the € (Euro)
> character in ISO-8859 tables. I understand that this may not be what an
> English company might wish to use ;-).
>
> Sorry for the confusion.

Unless I'm much mistaken, 8859-15 is actually mostly used in British English
mail.  The € is present, but so is the £, so that's no problem.  I'm guessing
that it is a new setup and they haven't realised that they have a different
charset.  I've emailed them and gently pointed it out :-)

Meanwhile, if you are saying that kmail displayed it as 8859-15, I guess I
should file a bug.

Anne