[kdepim-users] IMAP

Lucas B. Cohen mli6 at free.fr
Wed Dec 16 19:05:34 GMT 2009

Hello,

Ka-rlis Repsons wrote:
> Hi all,
> not knowing much about IMAP, I'm still going to set up Dovecot that way --
> what I wanted to know is about search: how can dovecot's indexing feature be
> taken advantage of, when a search is performed with kmail?

I too would be interested in knowing a little more about the way KMail
handles IMAP mailboxes. The KMail Handbook doesn't hold a lot of
detailed information on the topic.

>From my experience, different e-mail software can behave in
significantly different manners when dealing with IMAP servers. In terms
of observable effects, indexing can be affected as Kärlis mentions.
"Rules"/"Filters"/"Message Rules" can work differently ; sometimes the
message count is incorrectly reflected in parts of the UI. Much of what
I've seen seems to stem from what is retrieved (headers/full messages),
when it is retrieved and how it is stored locally.

Many clients also seem to imply by their settings panels that a regular
mail-check can be scheduled on IMAP mailboxes, which, unless I'm
mistaken, irrelevant to the way the protocol works (a connection is
maintained with the server, and new mail is pushed to the client upon
delivery).

Any details or pointers to where implementation of IMAP and Disconnected
IMAP in KMail can be found will be appreciated.

--
Lucas B. Cohen

"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
than the question of whether a submarine can swim." - Edgar W. Dijkstra