[kdepim-users] IMAP

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Dec 16 20:56:20 GMT 2009

On Wednesday, 2009-12-16, Lucas B. Cohen wrote:

> Many clients also seem to imply by their settings panels that a regular
> mail-check can be scheduled on IMAP mailboxes, which, unless I'm
> mistaken, irrelevant to the way the protocol works (a connection is
> maintained with the server, and new mail is pushed to the client upon
> delivery).

This is one mode of operation, using an IMAP extension called IDLE.
KMail's current IMAP implementation doesn't handle this mode yet, so it has to
actively check for new mails.

> Any details or pointers to where implementation of IMAP and Disconnected
> IMAP in KMail can be found will be appreciated.

If you are interested in implementation details, it might be better to ask on
the developer mailinglist kde-pim at kde.org

AFAIK it is implemented by delegating protocol stuff to an IMAP kioslave.
The next generation implementation (which might become available with KDE SC
4.5) uses a different approach (new IMAP library) and can be found in SVN in
kdepim/runtime/resources/imap

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring