[kdepim-users] Kontact refuses to re-start

Vinet Raphaël superaphke at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 18:05:25 GMT 2009

Le mardi 1 décembre 2009 07:25:10 Bob Smits, vous avez écrit :
> On Monday 30 November 2009 you wrote:
> > On Monday 30 November 2009 17:49:08 Bob Smits wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I'm running OpenSuse 11.2 64 bit on a Lenovo T61 and using the KDE4
> > >  desktop.
> > >
> > > For the most part, it's working fine. Sound, connecting, even DVDs all
> > > work OK.
> > >
> > > What doesn't work OK is Kontact KDE-PIM. It starts up OK and behaves
> > >  normally until I shut it down. Then it refuses to re-start - the icon
> > >  bounces for a while, then goes away, and nothing happens. The only way
> > > I can get it to start again is to log off my session and restart it.
> > >
> > > I looked for problems reported and note some of it appeared to relate
> > > to having the kontact item in the tool bar so I removed it from there
> > > but left it in it's normal menu position. That doesn't appear to make
> > > any difference.
> > >
> > > Anyone else have this problem?
> >
> > Do you use KOrganizer?  We are finding that there is a problem that
> > sounds the same in Fedora.  For some reason Kontact simply will not start
> > if your korganizerrc is set to use the monthly view as current.  If that
> > line is removed Kontact starts normally.  Until this is resolved we have
> > to make sure that we don't stay in month-view when we shut kontact down.
> > HTH
>
> Yes, I use KOrganizer, but have never been able to get it to start in month
> view which is the only one of any use to me. I just checked that it was in
> week view, shut it down, and it would not start. Logged out, back in, and
>  it started right away.
>
> Bob Smits, Ladysmith, BC

Hi,

I confirm that sometimes kontact have problem to start

1. I am on Mandriva 2010 completely up to d	ate (Version 4.3.2)

2. Organizer has the week view (never user the monthly view) ==> nothing to do
with the known bug described here

... and sometimes (not always !) if i want open kontact It starts but nothing
on screen. Try to reopen once more but nothing

==> in fact the process kontact is really there ! (view this with ksysguard or
top)

The 100% solution (for me) is kill the kontact open process and reopen kontact

Raph