[kdepim-users] fancy headers

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Mon Aug 17 12:24:05 BST 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 09:20:27 Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> On Monday 17 August 2009 03:12:12 am Gary C Curtin wrote:
> > For the fancy headers, the two lines in /.kde4/share/config/kmailrc
>
> should be:
> > [Reader]
> > header-set-displayed=rich
> > header-style=standard

Nope.  The header-set-displayed is correct, and header-style should be =fancy.
The gui tool would have set that for you.

> > Sorry for the trouble, but thanks for the input Bruce.
> Hello, Gary --
>
> You have now specified something that I, myself, simply would NOT do.
> Let me cite the specific distinction.  You said that you began by opening
> a message -- and THEN change the setting.  I do NOT do that.  Instead, I
> simply change the setting.  This is NOT a "per-message" setting at all;
> it IS a "persistent" setting, and it should be treated accordingly.

If you do have a need to change 'on-the-fly' you could use my method.  I have
two extra icons on my main toolbar - one with an up-arrow and one with a down-
arrow.  If I want to check the full headers for any reason I hit the up-arrow.
Hitting the down-arrow returns it to fancy headers, which is my default.  You
could define buttons to access any style of headers you like, using Configure
Toolbars.

Bruce is quite correct - the settings that result from using the tools *are*
persistent.  I've been using them for years.

> On the other hand, if you are getting the results that you want in some
> other way, and if the other method does not create its own package of
> problems for you(!), then don't mess with your setting needlessly!!!  I
> really hope that things work as you want them to!

Anne