[kdepim-users] fancy headers

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Mon Aug 17 18:53:09 BST 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 08:19:54 am Kishore wrote:
> On Monday 17 Aug 2009 1:50:27 pm Bruce MacArthur wrote:

> > up

> > have

If

> > you

> > groups

> > THEY

> > have

> > client's

> > > The setting does not remain with me. If I open a message and set
the

> > header to
> >
> > > fancy then close the message, it reverts to the default setting. I
> >
> > think the
> >
> > > term used is non-persistant. I went through all the possible
settings

> > in
> >
> > > Kontact and could not find anywhere to set this permanently.
> > >
> > > My installation is from the opensuse KDE 4 factory repository, so
> >
> > maybe it is
> >
> > > broken somehow. I remember back in 3.x versions of KDE it was fine,
but

> > have
> >
> > > had this problem in more recent KDE 4.x versions.
> > >
> > > So with a bit of trial and error, I worked it out, now with the
date.

> > > For the fancy headers, the two lines in /.kde4/share/config/kmailrc
> >
> > should be:
> > > [Reader]
> > > header-set-displayed=rich
> > > header-style=standard
> > >
> > > Sorry for the trouble, but thanks for the input Bruce.
> >
> > Hello, Gary --
> >
> > You have now specified something that I, myself, simply would NOT do.
> > Let me cite the specific distinction.  You said that you began by
opening
> > a message -- and THEN change the setting.  I do NOT do that.
Instead, I
> > simply change the setting.  This is NOT a "per-message" setting at
all;
> > it IS a "persistent" setting, and it should be treated accordingly.
> >
> > On the other hand, if you are getting the results that you want in
some
> > other way, and if the other method does not create its own package
of
> > problems for you(!), then don't mess with your setting needlessly!!!
> > really hope that things work as you want them to!
>
> I would myself never have done it the way Gary did it here. i.e. Open
the
> message to its own window and then change the setting. And that is
because I
> rarely open a message into a separate window. Never the less I do not
think
> that Gary did it wrong. Don't you think that setting settings made in
the
> separate message view window should in a way trickle down into the
KMail
> settings? It does not seem to make much sense to have that setting
otherwise.
> It seems very unlikely IMHO that one would want to make that setting
for just
> that one instance of a message view.
> --
> Cheers!
> Kishore

Hello, Kishore --

I gather that your question is directed to me. (If that is an error,
please forgive my blunder!)  I think that I agree with you.  I view this
as a "global" or "universal" setting in that it immediately affects every
message. Therefore, I would not think in terms of modifying a single
message -- in fact, I doubt that it is even POSSIBLE to have that
selective kind of effect in this context!  So I would ignore each
message, and choose my preferred setting.  But, precisely because it
SEEMS TO BE a universal setting, I agree that it should not make too
much difference whether or not a particular message is "open" at the time
of a change.  And I also agree that it makes very little sense to make
such a change, trying to aim that change at ONLY one or two specific
messages -- because I do NOT think that this will work at all.

As noted, I may not have understood quite what Gary really wants to do;
he has (off-list) faulted himself for posting to a user-list rather than
a technical list.  And he seems to enjoy or prefer modifying
configuration files rather than availing himself of the tools built into
K-Mail for everyday practical use.  I hope he finds what he wants and
needs, regardless of how it is implemented.  And I wish the same for
those who may consult this thread on the archives!