[kdepim-users] distribution lists in KMail Address Book

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Aug 6 22:57:49 BST 2009

Hi Lou,

Please send replies to the kdepim-users mailing list. Then other people
also have a chance to answer your questions.

On Tuesday 04 August 2009, Louis Hinman wrote:
> On Monday 03 August 2009 02:39:07 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 August 2009, Louis Hinman wrote:
> > > I am running KDE 3.5 on Slackware Linux 12.2, KMail Revision 1.7
> > >  (2004-07-13)
>
> Thanks for your observations, Ingo.
>
> > Hmm. KDE 3.5 included KMail 1.9.
>
> I took the version number off the first page of the KMail User's
> Manual, but I think that was the version number for the *manual*, not
> *KMail*!
>
> Where *do* you look for the version number of a KDE app?

Have a look in the About dialog (available via the Help menu).
Alternatively, run e.g. "kmail --version" in Konsole.

> > >  I find that I can't create a distribution list in the KMail
> > > Address Book.
> > >
> > >  The interface for building the list from the Address Book seems
> > > to work fine (and is a pleasure to use) but when I close the
> > > Address Book and reopen it, the distribution list has disappeared
> > > (or else just the last addresses that I added).
> >
> > When you say "Address Book" do you mean "Address Book Browser -
> > KAddressBook" (it can be started via the Tools menu in KMail)?
>
> Yes.
>
> > > This looks like a bug to me, but  being new to KDE, I don't want
> > > to be too quick to say that.  Could I be doing something wrong?
> > > Has anyone else had this problem?
> >
> > If you are using KAddressBook then please check whether
> > the "Distribution Lists" pane is shown. If it is not shown, then
> > you can make it visible via the View menu.
>
> Yes, the "Distribution Lists" pane is displayed.

Does the option in the View menu read "Distribution List Editor NG"?

I cannot reproduce your problem. Can you please give a detailed
description how to reproduce it?