[kdepim-users] Crash and lost kmailrc

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Aug 12 19:32:35 BST 2009

On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Günther J. Niederwimmer wrote:

> > > You wouldn't need to reset if you can shut down kmail and copy
> > > kmailrc in. You'd just need to restart kmail, I think.

> > > OK - I know there are a few files related to the directory that
> > > gets created there.  I could be wrong, but I think that when you
> > > get kmailrc back in, restarting will set up all that directory
> > > again for you.

> > > I think data usually only gets lost if an operation was in
> > > progress at the very moment of the crash.
> >
> > This is correct. Unfortunately, modern file systems may delay
> > writing changes to the disk for several minutes unless they are
> > told to write the changes immediately. So potentially "the very
> > moment of the crash" can be a pretty long moment.
> >
> > There were a few heated discussions on the Linux kernel mailing
> > list about whether the loss of files due to crashes of the system
> > is the fault of the file system or of the applications which fail
> > to force the changes to be written to disk. In the end some
> > adjustments were made in the file system code.
> >
> > If your system crashes a lot, then doing regular backups is your
> > best option to protect yourself against lost files.
>
> Have Kmail his config (kmailrc) always open ?

I have checked with lsof which files KMail 1.9.10 (KDE 3.5) has open:
- index files of a few folders
- cache of the INBOX of my two actively used IMAP accounts

kmailrc is not open. But, as I wrote above, if kmailrc has been written
shortly before the crash then it might be lost.

> OK, I can understand the open IMAP filer config from the list is
> lost, when I read EMails, but not all of the directory
> ..kde4/share/apps/kmail/imap ?

I guess that would be unusual, but I don't really know that much about
file systems to make guesses what might get lost when the system
crashes. The problem is that KMail assigns unique IDs to your IMAP
accounts. If you lose your kmailrc then those unique IDs are lost. If
you now re-create your IMAP accounts then KMail will assign other
unique IDs to them. OTOH, you said you restored kmailrc from a backup.
So this unique IDs shouldn't be a problem.

> On my system I mean a newer XOrg is crashed and the result is lost
> files ?

Did only XOrg crash? Or did the whole system crash?

> Ingo, why is the hold time info from Imap in the directory from
> ..kde4/share/apps/kmail/imap and not in a config file?

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "hold time info". Do you
mean "expiration settings"?