[kdepim-users] receiving HTML messages in KMail

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sat Aug 15 10:36:04 BST 2009

On Saturday 15 August 2009 04:02:55 Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> On Friday 14 August 2009 09:23:59 pm Louis Hinman wrote:
> > I am running KMail 1.9.10 in KDE 3.5.10, which is standard in
>
> Slackware 12.2.
>
> > (I hear that the next release of Slackware will have KDE 4.*.)
> >
> > I see in the KMail Handbook under 3. "Using KMail" there is a
> > section "Creating HTML Messages".  However, I can't find the
>
> instructions on
>
> > how to *read* an HTML message that I have received.  When I get
>
> an HTML
>
> > message, I can see the HTML source code in the Message Preview
>
> Panel of the
>
> > Main Window of KMail, but where does it tell you how to invoke the
>
> HTML
>
> > interpreter on the source code?
> >
> > Thanks & Best Regards,
> > Lou
> > New York City
>
> Hello, Lou --
> I think that you can go to KMail --> Configure KMail --> Security -->
> Reading and check the item "Prefer HTML to plain text".  Please be
> sure to notice the "WARNING" and the hyper-links provided in  that
> paragraph; this topic CAN be VERY important to you -- depending
> upon your relationship with the TRUE source of the message!!!
>
> If this does NOT do the trick, please post again -- and let us know
> what has happened when you tried it.  I certainly hope that this solves
> your momentary problem!  (I would also strongly suggest that, if you
> use this device, un-check the same item as soon as you have read
> the message that you want to see.)

I'd seriously advise against this, because it enables html mail for all
folders, which naturally includes mail from people you don't know and trust.
The better solution is to create one or more folders for people you do trust
who send html mail, and set up filters to put their posts into those folders.
Highlight the folder in question, then go to the main menu - Folder > Prefer
HTML mail.

Again, for security purposes I would suggest that you don't check 'Load
External references' - you will be able to load them on demand - although
since you have approved those particular persons it may not be as important as
for strangers' messages.

Anne