[kdepim-users] What files should I backup?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Aug 20 16:33:08 BST 2009

On Wednesday 19 August 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 August 2009 14:03:13 Gary C Curtin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 August 2009 1:38:21 r bartlett wrote:
> > >  it is .kde/ not .kde4/ so I'm guessing I will have to do some
> > > file editing.  I will see how things go and, again, I really
> > > appreciate the help.  If I keep my whole .kde/ directory will
> > > that cause problems? Should I at least rename it to .kde4/
> > > beforehand or something like that?

It depends on whether Fedora 11 uses ~/.kde4 or ~/.kde. That's the first
thing you should find out. If Fedora 11 uses ~/.kde then you do not
need to do any renaming or file editing.

> > You may want to check with one of the KDE lists. Simply renaming a
> > directory will probably just cause problems.
>
> Do you have to go the upgrade path?  So much has changed between 8
> and 11 that I can almost guarantee that it will take at least a week
> to get everything working again, and even then you may be left with
> unexplained glitches.

I respectfully disagree with Anne. So far I have always kept my complete
home directory. The oldest dot file in my home directory is now 14.5
(!!!) years old and my ~/.kde directory has been migrated successfully
to all versions of KDE starting with KDE 2.0.

> I would recommend copying the whole of your
> /home to external storage.  If possible also copy your /etc.

Making a backup of /home and /etc is definitely a good advise. On my
systems /home resides on a partition of its own. This way I can easily
replace the old system with a new system without affecting any of my
data in /home. This has worked very well for me since I started to use
this setup.

Since some time I reserve two partitions for different systems. This way
I can easily update/replace the system on one of the partitions while
still keeping my currently used system on the other partition. If the
update goes wrong I can easily fallback to the working system.

Anyway, as always your mileage may vary.