[kdepim-users] distribution lists in KMail Address Book

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Aug 11 17:00:53 BST 2009

On Tuesday 11 August 2009 16:23:16 Louis Hinman wrote:
> First, let me say it is a great pleasure to have made the move from Outlook
> (and all things Microsoft) to Linux, íKMail and KDE. I look forward eagerly
> to having more and more control over my computing environment, as I learn
> to make full use of these efficient and elegant tools.
>
> I have not received any comments on my last (more detailed) exposition of
> the problem I've had with distribution lists in KMail 1.9.10 (see below).
> I'm guessing, therefore, that this is a bug in what is, admittedly, by now
> a somewhat older version of KMail.

Lou, I've used distribution lists, although infrequently, with every version
of KMail, for years.  Ingo is definitely the expert, so his advice overrides
anything that the rest of us say :-)

As far as I can recall it was round about the time of that version that
distribution lists were changed from being a separate distlists file in the
kabc directory to being entries in the addressbook.

I also recall that there was one version about that time in which I had some
distribution lists  problems.  In that case I could not get them to display
properly, and entering the name of the list in the message To: field didn't
work either.  What *did* work, was to find the distribution list in the
Contacts page.  In the right-hand panel I clicked on the list name, and it
entered all the members from that list into an email skeleton.

It's worth a try.  If you happen to have the version where I had that problem,
this might give you an acceptable work-around until you get the next version,
where it was fixed.

> I'm wondering if I would be well advised to get the most recent stable
> release of KMail. (I hate to second-guess the fine Slackware team, but I
> can't really get by without distribution lists.) If I were to install the
> most recent stable release of KMail, while retaining KDE 3.5.10, would I be
> likely to have any difficulties?  (Or would I need to replace KDE 3.5.10
> with a more recent release also?)

I really don't know.  I wouldn't take advice from anyone but Ingo on  that.
:-)

Anne