[kdepim-users] distribution lists in KMail Address Book

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Aug 11 18:57:52 BST 2009

On Friday 07 August 2009, Louis Hinman wrote:

> Oops, I was reading the the version number from the KMail Manual.
> You are coorect.  Slackware 12.2 (12/09/2008) has KDE 3.5.10, which
> includes KMail 1.9.10.

> > > Yes.

> > > Yes, the "Distribution Lists" pane is displayed.
> >
> > Does the option in the View menu read "Distribution List Editor
> > NG"?
>
> Yes.  It reads "Distribution List Editor NG"
>
> > I cannot reproduce your problem. Can you please give a detailed
> > description how to reproduce it?
>
> I created a Distribution List with the name "Dymond Road".
>
> Using the "+" button next to "Distribution Lists" I got the "Edit
> Distribution List - KAddressBook" dialogue with Name: "New
> Distribution List".  I changed "New Distribution List to "Dymond
> Road".  Then I used the "Distribution list members" dialogue to add
> list members from the addressbook.  After I added a few members, I
> click "OK" and I see the new distribution list and the members that I
> just added to it.  Everything looks fine.  However, when I close the
> Address Book, and reopen it, the disbribution list "Dymond Road" and
> all the members of the list have disappeared without a trace.

I could reproduce this behavior. This does indeed seem to be a bug.

At first, I couldn't reproduce the problem because I created the
distribution list differently. I did the following:
Using the "+" button next to "Distribution Lists" I got the "Edit
Distribution List - KAddressBook" dialogue with Name: "New Distribution
List".  I changed "New Distribution List to "Dymond Road".  Then I
clicked "OK". After that I selected a few contacts and added them via
drag&drop to the new distribution list. A distribution list that is
filled this way with contacts appears to survive closing and reopening
of the Address Book.

I hope this approach also works for you.