[kdepim-users] gpg encryption

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Apr 9 09:17:24 BST 2009

Am Montag, 6. April 2009 schrieb Siegfried Gipp:
> Hi,
>
> i've run into a problem. I tried to enable gpg signatures and
> encryption. The problem is, that i succeeded. But now i can not
> send unencrypted messages (i had to remove the .gnupg directory to
> do so). Regardless of what i select, sign message or not sign
> message, encrypt message or not encrypt message, i always get the
> message encrypted and not signed. I tested it by sending a test
> message to myself.

First of all, you can not send encrypted mails to a user who does not
have a gpg public key. You can not find a key to be used to encrypt
with.

There is an extra setting where you can set your copy of sent mails to
be encrypted as well (Settings dialog: security and privacy -> create
mail - in german: Sicherheit->Nachrichten erstellen). What are the
settings there? What are the encryption/signing settings in the mail
composing window?

> Am i doing something wrong? System is Ubuntu (Kubuntu), actual
> version. Kmail version is 1.11.0.
>
> BTW: Decryption works, too. But just for me and the very very few
> others that use gpg. I have to communicate much with Outlook users
> which even do not know what email signing is. I've encountered
> people trying to "open" my signature with f.ex. the pdf reader or
> MS Word. So i definitely have to send messages without signature
> and without encryption.

This is a well known problem with outlook users. Even worse, if you
use S/MIME signed mails with a unknown certificate authority, outlook
beefs about a (possible) security issue, whereas a unsigned mail is
trusted without question.

> Any idea would be apprechiated.
>
> Regards, and thanks
> Siegfried Gipp