[kdepim-users] How to change folder with their subfolders to mbox

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Apr 19 23:45:01 BST 2009

On Sunday 19 April 2009, Jorge Daniel Ortalli wrote:
> Hello everibody,
> I am trying to export some folders to Thunderbird and need to
> transform all forders in Kmail to mbox format. First I created a new
> folder named "kmail_export" with mbox format and then I copied all
> folders in maildir format into it But the kmail_export folder remains
> empty, it is 0 bytes size. Second I created one by one all subfolder
> in mailbox format into kmal_export, when I opened the folder in
> Thunderbird there where mails in it, but all the mails were into the
> main kmail_export folder, there were not subfloders.

I guess Thunderbird does not understand the way KMail stores subfolders.

> Now I would want to transform all folders in kmail from maildir to
> mbox format. How can I achieve that?

I'm not aware of a simple tool for achieving this. But, if I understand
you correctly, then you did already do this transformation with your
second approach. You should find the subfolders in a file system folder
called .kmail_export.directory next to the mbox file kmail_export.

If you don't manage to get it to work with your second approach, then I
suggest asking on some Thunderbird forum for advice how to import
folders in maildir format.