[kdepim-users] Any migration to mac possible?

JW jw at mailsw.com
Mon Apr 13 16:48:18 BST 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009 18:22:18 Graham Todd wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:54:45 +0200
>
> DennisMail at gmx.net wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am sitting in front of one Kubuntu Hardy and one Mac OS X. Now, I
> > am using Kontact to get my mails from quite a few accounts and
> > therefor, I created many filter rules (this is the most important
> > point).
> >
> > Now, I am trying to get these mail account settings and the filter
> > rules on the Mac. Is there any way?

Assuming you have the Mac KDE packages installed and that they contain
KMail/Kontact (do you? See http://mac.kde.org/) then I would guess you can
copy the KDE settings files from ~/.kde (or ~/.kde4) just like you would when
moving from another distro.

> > For me, it´s no issue to install
> > other mail clients if necessary.

I have never heard of a way to move KMail settings to any other MUA. I don't
think it's possible. I HAVE successfully moved the email data to Mac and
converted it into the correct kind of directory for Mac OS X's "Mail.app" to
use (Mbox to Maildir or Maildir-to-mbox, I forget which direction). But not
the settings.

If you find a way to automatically import KMail account settings into Mail.app
I would surely love to know :-)

> The answer depends on whether you have a G4 or G5 Mac, and it depends
> on which distro you are using.

This is the most misinformed answer I have ever seen regarding Macs.

> Now, Macs which run OS X are limited to G3, G4, and G5 types.

Not at all. In fact the latest (Leopard - 10.5) does not run on G3, I believe.
It does run on G5s. But it was certainly developed with Intels in mind, since
Apple has primarily produced Intel hardware for a few years now.

> If you have a G5 type Mac it should support both Intel and PPC
> architectures

There is no such thing as "a G5 type Mac" that uses Intel. I can't imagine
where this idea came from.

> so you should (famous last words) be able to use either
> Debian or Kubuntu in its i386 incarnation.  That means you should also
> be able to load Mint Linux 6 KDE, but that will simply give you a more
> stable version of KDE 4.2.x.

With Apple's Mac OS X Leopard - 10.5 - and a correct version of "Bootcamp"
installed, you should be able to install any x86 distro or OS so long as it
has compatibility with basic apple hardware (And as the kernel and Xorg
releases do have this support included, any Linux distro should work).

There is no longer any need for the distro to support the Mac openfirmware for
booting - bootcamp takes care of that and allows you to use a normal boot
loader (grub).

But all that aside - I do not think the poster was looking to install Linux on
his Mac. He wants to move his email to Mac OS X.

Again - see http://mac.kde.org/

HTH

	JW