[kdepim-users] contacts and calendar items dissapeared

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 8 13:16:25 BST 2009

On Wednesday 08 April 2009 12:20:01 Adrian Dusa wrote:
> Dear Anne,
>
> Thanks for your reply, I will answer below:
>
> On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > [...]
> > Which version of kontact are you using?
>
> It is 1.4.2 (I believe the latest version since I don't get any sign for
> upgrading this package in Synaptic).
> BTW, I use Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid.

That's the version I have on Fedora,so it's not basically a KDE problem.  It
looks as though it is a combination of a Kubuntu packaging bug and something
peculiar to your setup.

> > Check ~/.kde (or .kde4)/share/apps/kabc looking for std.vcf.  The
> > numbered files there are backup ones, is of std.vcf is blank, rename
> > std.vcf_1. Similarly, check the korganizer folder for std.ics.  This does
> > not automatically backup, so it is wise to use your own backup solution
> > for this.
>
> The files are there, and so is std.ics.

So the good news is that nothing is lost.  All we have to do now is find out
why they don't display.

> The trouble is I can not even create an event in Calendat, it throws back
> an error "No resource available" (something I discovered later, after
> posting here).
> I Googled for this error, it seems that there's an issue with the latest
> KDE upgrades (I use KDE 4), but in all posts they say after reboot
> everything is back to normal. A bug that has been opened was closed
> precisely for this reason, but it doesn't seem to be my case.

That's what I was referring to, when I said 'something peculiar to your setup.

> Other posts indicate changing the permissions to both kde/ and kde4/, which
> I did with chmod -R 777, and I did progress but ony with my contacts which
> are now back in the place.

Well, ownership and permissions are the first place to start.  You don't
really want your addressbook and diary to be open to the world like that.
Check that ~/.kde(4)/share/apps/kabc and korganizer folders are owned by you,
and set the perms to 700.  Set the contents of those two folders to 600.

> The calendar is still empty, and I cannot create any event because of that
> error (again, the std.ics file is where it should be and it has the file
> permissions modified).

Let's try creating a new link to it then.  On the calendar screen, can you see
'default korganizer resource'?  I'm wondering if that is pointing to a new
akonadi-compatible resource.  Right click on it and Edit.  It's my guess that
you will need to enter the path to the existing file.  I believe it can be
imported into an akonadi-compatible one, but for the moment let's just get
this working.  Let me know if that works.

> So I'm kind of stuck now, should I open a bug report?

If we can't get it sorted you'll need to file a kubuntu bug report referencing
the old one, but let's hope this works for you.

Anne