[kdepim-users] KMail problem or configuration problem?

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Sun Sep 14 16:19:55 BST 2008

All right, we have a solution to this problem of S-L-O-W KMail

The bottom line is that it seems that KMail *IS* somehow concerning
itself with the number of (sub-)folders that have been created. I
didn't realise I had anything like as many, but I'd tried importing
some mail archives from other mailers, and one of the import processes
must have gone wrong big time - I had one tree with an ENORMOUS number
of subfolders in it. Not having expanded that tree, I had no idea of
their existence.

And no, I didn't count them, but a guesstimate must be in excess of
2,500. I deleted that whole sub-tree, and all of a sudden, KMail's
response time is back to what you would expect for popping up a
context menu.

As I said (and Ingo agreed, more importantly!) below, it is very
difficult to see WHY KMail should concern itself with the size of the
folder structure when all it's being asked to do is to bring up a
context menu, but the evidence seems fairly convincing that that's
exactly what it does. Give yourself an enormous number of folders, and
the performance will go through the floor.

As a final check, I switched back to my original KMail data, now
copied to another drive. Yep, go back to that mail structure with the
enormous sub-tree, and the response times went right through the floor
again. It HAS to be something to do with the size of the folder tree.

Brian.