[kdepim-users] Thread & Replyto conflicts

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Sep 26 19:51:16 BST 2008

On Friday 26 September 2008, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> Olá David e a todos.
>
> On Friday 26 September 2008 13:56:18 David Southwell wrote:
> > Yep but surely I should be able to select thread based upon subject
> > header rather than other headers?

Sorry, but KMail adheres to a widely accepted standard and this is not
going to change just because some people have problems with sending
messages to groups of people. FWIW, in Thunderbird this can easily be
done by using "Open As New" (or similar) instead of "Reply To All". In
KMail it's unfortunately not that easy.

What I would agree to is to add an (optional) message box ["Should this
message be sent as new message?"] being shown on sending a message if
the user used reply but changed the Subject so that it does not contain
the reply prefix "Re:" (or the change-of- subject-but-still-same-thread
indicator "was:") anymore.

> Your email client might be able to group emails based on Subject
> (Kmail as an option for that, and GMail does that too) but it doesnt
> need to be. Headers are the only "secure" way of doing it.
>
> Can you image all those "Re: " or "Hi" emails one get, being grouped
> as the same?

Exactly. Thunderbird (at least the version I use at work on Windows
*sigh*) groups messages always by the Subject header and it's a real
PITA. It does even put messages whose Subject clearly indicates that
the message is not a reply (because the Subject lacks a Re:, AW: or
whatever: prefix) in the same thread. This behavior makes message
grouping in Thunderbird almost unusable.