[kdepim-users] Kmail error "Could Not Start Process POP3"

Mike Lyon SlipJigPiper at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 17:30:10 BST 2008

I am new to the linux environment, having just purchased an Acer Aspire
One.  I've been able to successfully install Kontact and import my
contacts list and calendar from other Windows software I've run.

My problem is with the Kmail module.  It is version 1.9.9 (Using KDE
3.5.9-5.fc8 Fedora).  The laptop is running Linpus Linux Lite v 1.0.6.E

After setting up the identities and accounts, I try to send or receive
email, and I get an error message, "Could Not Start Process /POP3/".
Google provides a lot of references to other folks' struggles with the
same error, but the discussions quickly go beyond my linux
comprehension.  I've seen notes saying "make sure cyrus-sasl is
installed" and I've been able to do that.  It did not solve the problem.

I apologize if this problem has been addressed before - I just can't
find the links.

Can someone walk me through installation/upgrade of a solution?  I'm
pretty ignorant of the linux/KDE lingo, so I'd ask you to be patient........

Mike Lyon
Huntsville, AL
USA