[kdepim-users] KMail problem or configuration problem?

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Sun Sep 14 17:54:14 BST 2008

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:29:14 +0200, you wrote:

>On Sunday 14 September 2008, brian wrote:
>> All right, we have a solution to this problem of S-L-O-W KMail
>>
>> The bottom line is that it seems that KMail *IS* somehow concerning
>> itself with the number of (sub-)folders that have been created. I
>> didn't realise I had anything like as many, but I'd tried importing
>> some mail archives from other mailers, and one of the import
>> processes must have gone wrong big time - I had one tree with an
>> ENORMOUS number of subfolders in it. Not having expanded that tree, I
>> had no idea of their existence.
>>
>> And no, I didn't count them, but a guesstimate must be in excess of
>> 2,500. I deleted that whole sub-tree, and all of a sudden, KMail's
>> response time is back to what you would expect for popping up a
>> context menu.
>>
>> As I said (and Ingo agreed, more importantly!) below, it is very
>> difficult to see WHY KMail should concern itself with the size of the
>> folder structure when all it's being asked to do is to bring up a
>> context menu, but the evidence seems fairly convincing that that's
>> exactly what it does. Give yourself an enormous number of folders,
>> and the performance will go through the floor.
>>
>> As a final check, I switched back to my original KMail data, now
>> copied to another drive. Yep, go back to that mail structure with the
>> enormous sub-tree, and the response times went right through the
>> floor again. It HAS to be something to do with the size of the folder
>> tree.
>
>Thanks for tracking down the cause of the problem. KMail being slow when
>opening the context menu could be related to the Move/Copy option in
>the message context menu. For those two options submenus containing the
>whole folder tree are generated. It is very likely that the creation of
>the submenus is at least partially responsible for the slow opening of
>the context menu.
>
>The folder context menu contains a similar option having submenus
>containing the whole folder tree.

Well, that certainly sounds like it would explain it. It seems
unfortunate that those structures are generated when the initial
right-click happens, but I don't know enough about Linux's programming
tools to know whether there's a way around it. I do know how I'd solve
the problem using Delphi under Windows, but I somehow doubt the
relevance of that information. :)

Brian.