[kdepim-users] Identities in Kmail

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Mon Sep 15 21:52:13 BST 2008

At 22:22:18 on Monday Monday 15 September 2008, Lisi Reisz
<lisi.reisz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Monday 15 Sep 2008 19:55:11 に Stan Goodman さんは書きました:
> > At 19:39:59 on Monday Monday 15 September 2008, Anne Wilson
> >
> > <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > Stan, I've never tried to do that using filters so I honestly don't
> > > know whether it's possible.  On my system I have separate folders
> > > for such criteria as needing a particular identity.  Then it's
> > > easy, using the folder's context menu
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Thank you, I understand. It must have been very obvious to the
> > authors that it would have been logical to provide an automatic way
> > to do this, and the team ran out of steam before doing it. One of its
> > members explained that recently in another context. It's fortunate
> > that there is a manual way to do it, though I think it is messy
> > design.
> >
> > The drawback of having to put the variant message into a separate
> > folder as you suggest is that one has to remember to do so. The whole
> > reason that I was looking for a filter to accomplish the switch was
> > that I had been changing the signature block within the message body,
> > but do not always remember to do this. Who knows? Maybe they will fix
> > this in the a future release.
> >
> > But then I do not grasp the purpose of the unexplained ability in the
> > Filter-configuration window, for allowing selection of identity; I
> > wonder if anyone does.
> >
> > Thanks again...
>
> Settings -> Configure KMail -> Identities -> Add -> give it a name ->
> OK -> fill in detailed tabs as desired (including signature which can
> be set for that particular identity).  Accept your handiwork and
> "apply".  Set one of the identities to be the default.

All that was done last January, when I first started using Kmail.

> You will now get offered the default when you send an email, but can
> easily use the drop down menu to the right of it to choose another,
> which will be accompanied by it's owb signature etc..  You do still
> have to choose the identity, of course, if you do not want to use
> folders.  But once you have chosen teh identity evrything else goes
> with it.  There is no need to change the signature in the body of the
> email.

Yes, I understood that I need to remember to select the identity manually.
As Ingo has said, this is the result of a conscious decision on the part
of the designers. I wonder if they bothered to ask users before deciding.

> Or you can set certain folders to use a particular identity, as Anne
> said.

That seems to be the only way.

Thank you...

--