[kdepim-users] Identities in Kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Sep 15 22:22:01 BST 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 22:22:18 on Monday Monday 15 September 2008, Lisi Reisz
> <lisi.reisz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You will now get offered the default when you send an email, but
> > can easily use the drop down menu to the right of it to choose
> > another, which will be accompanied by it's owb signature etc..  You
> > do still have to choose the identity, of course, if you do not want
> > to use folders.  But once you have chosen teh identity evrything
> > else goes with it.  There is no need to change the signature in the
> > body of the email.
>
> Yes, I understood that I need to remember to select the identity
> manually. As Ingo has said, this is the result of a conscious
> decision on the part of the designers. I wonder if they bothered to
> ask users before deciding.

No, we didn't. Back in the days we mostly implemented what we needed
ourselves. Like it or not, but that's how most Free Software is written
in the beginning of a project. Once all features the developers
themselves wanted/needed have been implemented, the developers either
start to listen to the users or they drop out of the project.

Nowadays, KMail's core developer(s) are chronically overworked and they
have hardly time for implementing new features. New features are mostly
developed by "outsiders", e.g. as part of a Google SoC project, and
obviously those "outsiders" again implement what they need or what they
think is fun implementing. Other features were implemented by the
developers working for KDAB for their paying customer.

So, in the end, the sad truth is that it doesn't matter whether we
listen to our users or not because we simply do not have enough
resources to care. Okay, that's a bit too pessimistic. We do listen to
you and we do care, but still we can't do much about it. Unfortunately,
email clients aren't sexy anymore (if they ever were).