[kdepim-users] KMail problem or configuration problem?

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Fri Sep 5 12:54:27 BST 2008

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 22:34:26 +0200, you wrote:

>On Thursday 04 September 2008, brian wrote:
>> A simple question about KMail - is it really mind-numbingly slow when
>> compared to Forte Agent or Thunderbird, or do I have something
>> misconfigured?
>
>KMail 1.9.x (if yes, what x?) or KMail 1.10.0?

1.9.9, running under KDE 3.5.9

>> Just as an example - setting up a filter, if I use a right-click to
>> pull up the context menu to set a filter, Agent and Thunderbird both
>> have the context menu on the screen in about a second. KMail is
>> taking between 10 and 15 seconds to display a context menu.
>
>I'm not seeing such a problem here with KMail 1.9.9.
>

>> They're all running on the same PC, Mandriva 2008, 1.8 GHz P4, 2.5 GB
>> of memory, so that can't be the answer. Does anyone have any
>> suggestions as to what could be the problem, or is KMail really this
>> slow?
>
>Is opening a context menu slow in other KDE applications, too?

I've not found any others that are affected so far, it appears only to
be KMail.

>This is
>just a wild guess, but could this be related to the usage of desktop
>effects (e.g. semi-transparent context menus)?

I've everything I can find set to be as simple as possible (no
translucency, no 3D effects).

>What graphics card do
>you use?

It's an old ATI Rage 128.

>Does disabling desktop effects help?

AFAIK, I have everything that's superfluous disabled. The only thing
not disabled (that I know where to find) is to use hardware
acceleration for the mouse pointer.

Brian.