[kdepim-users] kmail(21788) KMSearch::slotSearchFolderResult: "trash" found 0 [BUG found]

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Oct 5 12:10:28 BST 2008

On Friday 03 October 2008, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> Olá  e a todos.
>
> On Tuesday 30 September 2008 22:49:58 (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> > Can some one help me?
> > This saturday my kmail started being utterly slow, so I started it
> > with # kmail --nofork. A few seconds after Kmail starts it starts
> > to print lines like this one, for every folder I have. kmail(21788)
> > KMSearch::slotSearchFolderResult: "trash" found 0
> >
> > Until it hits all my emails, I cant use kmail.... and this lasts
> > several minutes.
> >
> > Can someone point me a way to fix this?
> >
> > $ kmail --version
> > Qt: 4.4.2
> > KDE: 4.1.2 (KDE 4.1.2)
> > KMail: 1.10.1
>
> I traced the origin of the problem.
> Since the lines mention Search, I opened up Search in an empty
> folder. Since then I have no more problems.
>
> It all started last weekend when I needed to do a search no my entire
> archive. It seems that every time kmail opened up (even after several
> reboots) it would try to tun my last search, and that was the entire
> archive.. yeah, it took my system to extremes.

If you scroll down the folder list you should find Searches at the
bottom. Under Searches one can store searches persistently. This
functionality sometimes called virtual folders. Those searches are
always kept up-to-date. Since anything could have changed while KMail
was not running, on startup KMail re-runs all stored searches.

Additionally to searches explicitly made persistent by the user KMail
also used to remember the most recent search. Due to the problems you
have experienced the implicit persistence of the most recent search was
removed again shortly after the introduction of the search folders. I'm
surprised that it has been activated again in KMail 1.10. Maybe this
was done by accident during the port to Qt 4/KDE 4.

I have just tested this with KMail 1.9.10. After doing a search the
search result is listed as Last Search below Searches. After restarting
KMail Last Search is gone. Is/Was Last Search still there in KMail 1.10
after a restart?

> Now my last search is
> a very quick one, even if runs every time. I'll report it on
> bugs.kde.org and track it from launchpad.

Good.