[kdepim-users] Gmail contacts

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Thu Nov 20 16:30:30 GMT 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:57:32 +0100
Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 November 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> > I am trying to use my gmail contacts in kaddressbook/kmail.  I saw an
> > old thread from earlier in the year in which Ingo tried the "IMAP
> > resource via kmail" and found that it no longer worked.
>
> This was only for using GMail's IMAP folders as storage for my contacts
> (in the Kolab format), so that I could easily use the same contacts
> from different machines and locations. This was not about accessing the
> contacts stored in GMail itself which is what you seem to want to do.

The best (and maybe only) way to access GMail contacts right now is to use
the excellent GCaldaemon. One of its many features allows you to set up a
local LDAP server, which accesses your GMail contacts. Once it is
configured and running, you add it as an LDAP server to kmail/kaddressbook.
It works just like any other LDAP server at that point.

I have this configured for Kontact, and it works wonderfully.

Michael Fierro                                  miguelito at biffster.org
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
--
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you
nothing; it was here first." -- Mark Twain