[kdepim-users] Gmail contacts

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 10:53:30 GMT 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008 16:30:30 Michael Fierro wrote:
> The best (and maybe only) way to access GMail contacts right now is to use
> the excellent GCaldaemon. One of its many features allows you to set up a
> local LDAP server, which accesses your GMail contacts. Once it is
> configured and running, you add it as an LDAP server to kmail/kaddressbook.
> It works just like any other LDAP server at that point.
>
> I have this configured for Kontact, and it works wonderfully.
I'm far from a Linux or Java noob and I spent literally hours trying to get it
working, to no avail. Calendars would get some entries but I couldn't get
anything else. There's also the contacts suggested/added problem I mentioned
earlier.

If there is a real demand for this (which their seems to be) people should file
a wishlist bug to support Google APIs natively from Kontact and I'll write an
Akonadi plugin to do so when 4.2 is released.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur