[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Peter777 peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 19 10:51:22 GMT 2008

Hi Jurian,

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 20:35:22 Jurian Sluiman wrote:
> I am a student and a member of multiple student societies. Therefore, I
> have several folders at the highest levels underneath the Inbox (study,
> both societies, business, subscriptions like kde and one for archiving). It
> works like a charm!

Hmm, okay, so you have structured the heirarchy like that. No doubt you can
have sub-folders and sub-sub-folders under the Inbox.

Would it be anything like 700Mb in total, and are some of the folders (say)
14Mb.  Also , do you use mbox or maildir format please ?

> You can import your Pegasus email boxes (since I think it's a normal mbox
> or maildir format).

Yes, Pegasus is mbox.

> The importing tool makes a special folder so it doesn't
> mess up your folder structure. Then you can drag and drop your folders into
> the right place. Adding your incoming email accounts and create the right
> filters and you're done.

Have tested the import a few days ago, it seemed to work just fine, going thru
new mail (.cnm files), mail folders (.PMM files) and address books. I
cancelled it after about 30 mins, but it did leave a nice structure there,
top-level was called 'Pegasus-import' I think, and then all the heirarchy was
shown under that.

After the import, I created a new mbox folder in KMail, and copied all the
emails from one folder to the new mbox folder. Then used Beyond Compare (an
incredible tool and is now on Linux) to match that folder to its
corresponding .PMM file in Pegasus, and although there were extra control
lines for each mail, the content matched perfectly.

I didn't know you can drag/drop, that is a nice feature.

No doubt filters in KMail can set default identities. If I put _all_ of my
email under one KMail folder structure, I'd want to be able to send mail
to 'friends' with a different email address, as I use quite a few, so if it
defaulted, rather than having to manually select the identity 9and also
the 'send via) that would be good.

> You're talking about sets, but those sets have a relationship because of
> you. You are for all of them receiving the mail, so one Kmail account is
> not that unusual. Furthermore, your sets are just like other folders like I
> explained above.

Okay, you might be starting to convince me. If KMail can handle the 'size' and
number of emails, and if I'm replying to 'Joe Blow' and he is a friend, and
KMail will auto set the identity ('from' email address is important as I use
a few), and also auto set the 'send via' , that would be great.  :)

> As already said, Kmail is not designed for multiple "users". Each user at
> his/her installation has it's own Kmail storage. If you really want
> completely separated account, you can create different Linux (or whatever
> you're using) user accounts for them.

Okay, thanks. yes, I don't see the need for me personally, to add another
Linux user, as I'm the only one that uses it, and when my wife sends an
email, she just uses the email client I use.

Just to report on the problems I was having with altering the mail folder
path, and the 'config' file , some testing has shown ..

1.  Altering the path of the KMail folder

I modified the file kmailrc.

When set to:

folders[$e]=$HOME/Mail/friends/mail

KMail reads from 'friends' folders okay.

When set to:

folders[$e]=$HOME/Mail/friends

KMail does use that path, but all empty folders, and KMail clears kmailrc file
down to 15K (was 67K)

Therefore, altering the path has to be the same structure as
$HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail , that is ..

$HOME/Mail/friends/mail ==  $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail

2.  Testing the 'config' option
--------------------------------------

KMail does actually seem to open/use another config file. I copied kmailrc and
called it kmailrc_friends, then ran the following

$ kmail --config /home/username/.kde/share/config/kmailrc_friends

and KMail seems to use BOTH files, but displayed folders from the 'std' folder
location ( $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail ) only. Tested this several times, and
the datestamp on kmailrc AND kmailrc_friends was only 2 to 3 seconds
difference, each time I ran the above command (it modified both). Once when
viewing with Nautilus after closing KMail, I did see a file called something
like kmailrc_friends.lock just briefly, so I have to assume that parsing
the 'config' does work in one sense, but KMail still uses the folders from
kmailrc.

In DOS, we could do something like

kmailrc = kmailrc_friends

is there similar in Linux ? It would have to be a temporary thing, not a
symlink, just only to be used for the duration of the KMail session.

Regards,

Peter