[kdepim-users] Timezone gets mangled when going from KOrganizer 3.x to 4.x - workaround

George Bourozikas george at bourozikas.net
Tue Nov 11 20:11:11 GMT 2008

I remember seeing a thread regarding timezone mangling when moving from KDE
3.x to 4.x.  At the time David Jarvie wrote:

On Monday 08 September 2008 10:54:44 David Jarvie wrote:

> The reason is that in KDE 3 time zones weren't handled properly and all
> times were stored as UTC, the necessary conversion to the user's time zone
> being done in the user interface. In KDE 4, time zones are stored correctly
> in the calendar, and are displayed just as they are stored. Presumably there
> isn't any conversion done when a KDE 3 calendar is read by the KDE 4
> KOrganizer, so times now show as UTC.

For the record, I was just bitten by the same issue and my workaround was to
delete the std.ics file and have all my KOrganizer data restored with a KPilot
sync from my Treo 650.  I don't know what will happen if I ever have to open
saved calendar information from archived files, but I guess I will cross this
bridge when I come to it.

In the meantime, out of curiosity, what would writing a small utility to
correct the timezone information in std.ics entail?

Thanks,
--george