[kdepim-users] Syncing with Nokia E71

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 10:23:24 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 20:58:28 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I use KDE 3.5.10 on Ubuntu 8.04. Today I purchased a Nokia E71 and I
> would like to one-way sync my contacts and calendar from KAddressBook
> and KOrganizer to the Nokia. What is the best way to do this? I see
> that KDE has a sync component (KitchenSync) that may or may not use
> OpenSync as a backend. Should I use the stable (but two year old) 0.22
> OpenSync? Should I try the experimental 0.38? Are there other
> technologies that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.
If you just want a one-way sync then you probably don't want to mess with
OpenSync. OpenSync seems to work well 99% of the time and then duplicates all
my contacts or randomly deletes stuff the rest of the time and I can't afford to
lose peoples' numbers or entries from my calendar because of that so I just
keep them in sync manually, unfortunately.

To do a one-way sync:
Menu > Contacts > Options > Copy > To memory card
This will stick all your contacts as VCards onto your memory card and then you
can copy them off or import them into KOrganizer.

Menu > Contacts > Options > Copy > From memory card
If you stick stuff in the above directory of the memory card then you can
import in the same way. You want to use Export vCard (either version may work)
and then choose "multiple files".

Personally, I just use KOrganizer read-only with my Google Calendar and sync
my Google Calendar and contacts to my phone. Far from ideal but until I or
someone else gets Google Calendar KResource/Akondai support working its the
best option I've found at the moment.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur