[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Peter777 peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 21 09:03:08 GMT 2008

Hi Frans,

On Friday 21 November 2008 09:08:01 Frans Leerink wrote:
> With respect to altering the mail folder path I have done the following
> and it works fine. The goal that I had was to make my mail files
> available in all the installed openSUSE systems (10.3/ kde3.5.9,
> 11.0/kde3.5.10 and 11.1Betax/kde4.1

I have actually been able to alter the mail folder path successfully now.

> 1	I have created a  /data partition that is mounted to all my installed
> systems and that should contains my music, pictures, film, document and
> also my mail files.

Sounds like a good way to seperate out all your data.

> 2	Exit KMail in one of your installed systems. Make a backup of
> ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc.  Then go into Konsole and open with an
> editor the kmailrc file and add/change  in the "general section" the
> line  folders=.......   into   folders=/data/$USER/mail   Then move
> (not copy)  all your existing folders (including the hidden index files
> to the new location.   The next time you start KMail it will
> use  /data/$USER/mail instead of what is was
> before  /home/username/.....
>
> 3	In my case of course I have to add/modify in the  "general section" of
> the kmailrc file, of the other installed openSUSE systems, the
> line  folders=.......   into folders=/data/$USER/mail
> In case of openSUSE 11.1/ KDE4.1 use the kmailrc file out of the
> ~/.kde4/share/config directory

Okay, thanks for sharing. I'm not that far advanced to have seperate
partitions yet, and I only have one 'user' (if $USER is login username) on
the system.

I don't think I'd want to have to modify other config files either, to show
that the data (folders) were on another partition, at least not at this stage
(Linux noobie basically).

Thanks,

Peter