[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Nov 24 19:47:53 GMT 2008

On Friday 21 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:

> > > Okay, I tried a few combos of that, but KMail thought I was using
> > > it for the first time, and it wrote a few extra folders (..cache)
> > > in those paths.
> > >
> > > What line would I need to have for the folder statement, if I was
> > > to try that for another path ? At present kmailrc states
> > >
> > > folders[$e]=$HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
> > >
> > > Hmm, I assume it may have to be something like
> > >
> > > folders[$e]=$HOME/$KDEHOME   ???
> >
> > Hmm, I assumed KMail would use
> > $HOME/.kde-friends/share/apps/kmail/mail if it was started with
> > KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-friends kmail
>
> I was still trying to force it to use $HOME/Mail/friends/mail as the
> folder path though, that may have had something to do with it.
>
> > I have just tested it with a test user account. I logged into this
> > test account, started Konsole and from Konsole I started KMail with
> > KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-test kmail
> >
> > This KMail then created the standard folders in
> > $HOME/.kde-test/share/apps/kmail/mail
> >
> > So it appears to work. I haven't done more extensive tests though.
>
> Okay, thanks for testing that.
>
> The method you have used for testing, does it rely on it all being
> setup with that kind of structure/heirarchy though ?
>
> Could it be run with
> KDEHOME=$HOME/Mail/friends kmail

KMail/KDE will create the usual folder hierarchy under $KDEHOME (i.e.
the hierarchy that you usually find under ~/.kde). There's no problem
with using KDEHOME=$HOME/Mail/friends kmail. In this case
your 'friends' mail will be stored under
$HOME/Mail/friends/share/apps/kmail/mail unless you configure a
different location in $HOME/Mail/friends/share/config/kmailrc.

> and also does changing KDEHOME affect any other KDE apps that are
> running, or is it a value/setting that is only current for that
> session ?

The changed KDEHOME only affects kmail (and processes started by kmail).