[kdepim-users] Messages with unknown subject, sender and time on KMail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Nov 17 22:03:41 GMT 2008

On Monday 17 November 2008, Paolo Pozzan wrote:
> Il sabato 15 novembre 2008 22:12:14 Anne Wilson ha scritto:

> > > Here it is:
> > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/paolop/3032029361/
> > >
> > > That's the mail I sent to this ML, using KMail, obviously.
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > Wow! I've never seen anything like that.  I think we need Ingo on
> > this one. Sorry, I've no suggestions at all.  It can't be anything
> > in the message itself, as it displayed perfectly here, but I can't
> > think of anything that would do that to it.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hello Ingo, I reply to this message as your is corrupt...
> You find the source of the message in the attached text file.
> If you need more informations just ask.

The start of the source:
=====

; from=yahoo.it; dkim=neutral  (no  sig)
  by mta347.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:55:22 -0800
=====

The lines
=====
=====
have been added by KMail, so the correct header should look as follows:
=====
  by mta347.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:55:22 -0800
[...]
=====

Now the problem is the line starting with "; from". This line is not a valid line in an email message
header. Since it belongs to the preceding line it should start with some whitespace.

There are two possibilities:
a) Yahoo fails to add the Authentication-Results header in the correct format.
b) KMail corrupts the header when it receives the message.

I think b is highly unlikely because we would have noticed if there was such a serious bug in
KMail. a, OTOH, is probably not noticed by many other people because other mail clients are
probably more forgiving when they encounter such an invalid line in the header. You should be
able to verify whether it's Yahoo's fault by checking your mail with another mail client and then
looking at the source with this other mail client. Just make sure you do not check those
messages with KMail because that might corrupt them.