[kdepim-users] Recovery KMail after KDE crash

Pavel Mendl pavel_mendl at centrum.cz
Thu Nov 27 11:02:12 GMT 2008

> With KMail closed you need
> to delete the index files so that they can rebuild.  However, in the past I
> have seen most messages survive, but I've also seen all messages in a box
> disappear, so if at all possible I'd recommend that you copy your whole
> mail structure somewhere for safe-keeping before you do it.

Dear Anne, many thanks for your support !!!

It was ... well ... strange, and not being your post I would pass on recovery:

First time I deleted all indexes, after kmail start old messages were
readable, just really really sparse (95 out of original 1000+, randomly
distributed over whole timeline). Kdiff3 showed that really all others are
missing from the directory.
Then I shut down kmail again, copied all missing files back from backup
(skipping all duplicities), launched kmail again and voila, everything seems
OK now.

So for all, treat this thread as solved. Many thanks again.
--
Pavel Mendl