[kdepim-users] switching versions, issues

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Nov 20 20:38:06 GMT 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008 03:06:57 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2008, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > I'd been running Slackware 11.0 on one machine here,  and more or
> > less doing okay with what I had going there as far as kmail is
> > concerned.  I recently acquired another machine and installed
> > Slackware 12.1 on it,  and thanks to a post in here I was able to
> > move all of my mail and my settings to this machine and start using
> > it without having to re-do an awful lot of filters, all of my tweaks,
> >  etc.
> >
> > However!
> >
> > I don't choose to use kwallet.  And as before,  kmail is complaining
> > about this.  Unlike before,  even though I have checked the boxes
> > that say to store the password,  and even though I tell it to do so,
> > I get this complaint EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEND A MESSAGE!  And
> > furthermore,  I get it twice more (since I have two accounts set up)
> > every time I elect to enter "configure kmail".  This is getting
> > really annoying,  is there any way to make it stop?
>
> I hope others can help you with this. Since I do not experience this
> problem, I have no idea where to look. I',m sorry.

It's still ongoing,  and still annoying...

> > Further,  with the problems I encountered earlier on involving
> > expiring unread posts (even though I didn't want it to,  I ended up
> > with the software losing mail on me),  my use involves holding down
> > the shift key as I switch from one message to the next and then ever
> > 10 messages or so hitting shift-delete to get rid of them.  Only all
> > of a sudden shift-delete has stopped working for me!  Nothing happens
> > at all when I press that key combo,  so I'm forced to use just
> > delete,  and then have to switch to the trash folder,  select "empty
> > trash",  confirm that I really do want to do that,  and that wastes a
> > lot of my time.
>
> Check (under Settings->Configure Shortcuts) whether Shift+Delete is
> still assigned as shortcut to Delete.

I did that.  Fortunately,  shutting kmail down and restarting it seems to have
taken care of that one.  I don't know why that happened or what might have
caused it.  At least it's not happening now...

> > Any suggestions as to what I might do to fix this?  Or,  barring
> > that,  is there any way that I can remove this version and switch
> > back to the version I was using before?  I don't have the other
> > machine set up any more,  but this one is kmail 1.9.9 under KDE
> > 3.5.9,  I think the other version might've been 1.9.4 or so.  I
> > suppose I could set that machine up again and see if it's necessary.
> > I'm thinking that sticking one of the install CDs from the older
> > version into this machine might be the way to go,  but I need to know
> > if there are any gotchas in that path...
>
> In theory all versions 1.9.x of KMail should be compatible. I don't know
> of anything that could cause problems when switching from 1.9.9 back to
> 1.9.4, but I cannot give you a guarantee that there won't be any
> problems. So be sure to make a backup before you try this.

Backup of what?  The whole mess,  mail and all?  That adds up to quite a bit,
which was why I was so please to find it all present when I rsync'd those
files over to this box and found everything including my filters and settings
and such more or less the way I wanted them.

That having to click on "store password" each and every time I want to send a
message gets real old real quick,  though...      :-(

-
M Dakin