[kdepim-users] switching versions, issues

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Nov 20 18:42:07 GMT 2008

I'd been running Slackware 11.0 on one machine here,  and more or less doing
okay with what I had going there as far as kmail is concerned.  I recently
acquired another machine and installed Slackware 12.1 on it,  and thanks to a
post in here I was able to move all of my mail and my settings to this
machine and start using it without having to re-do an awful lot of filters,
all of my tweaks,  etc.

However!

I don't choose to use kwallet.  And as before,  kmail is complaining about
this.  Unlike before,  even though I have checked the boxes that say to store
the password,  and even though I tell it to do so,  I get this complaint
EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEND A MESSAGE!  And furthermore,  I get it twice more
(since I have two accounts set up) every time I elect to enter "configure
kmail".  This is getting really annoying,  is there any way to make it stop?

Further,  with the problems I encountered earlier on involving expiring unread
posts (even though I didn't want it to,  I ended up with the software losing
mail on me),  my use involves holding down the shift key as I switch from one
message to the next and then ever 10 messages or so hitting shift-delete to
get rid of them.  Only all of a sudden shift-delete has stopped working for
me!  Nothing happens at all when I press that key combo,  so I'm forced to
use just delete,  and then have to switch to the trash folder,  select "empty
trash",  confirm that I really do want to do that,  and that wastes a lot of
my time.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to fix this?  Or,  barring that,  is
there any way that I can remove this version and switch back to the version I
was using before?  I don't have the other machine set up any more,  but this
one is kmail 1.9.9 under KDE 3.5.9,  I think the other version might've been
1.9.4 or so.  I suppose I could set that machine up again and see if it's
necessary.  I'm thinking that sticking one of the install CDs from the older
version into this machine might be the way to go,  but I need to know if
there are any gotchas in that path...

-
M Dakin