[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Peter777 peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 21 09:57:15 GMT 2008

On Friday 21 November 2008 06:37:34 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
> > > Alternatively to using the --config option you might want to
> > > experiment with using different KDEHOMEs, e.g. start KMail with
> > >
> > > KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-friends kmail
> > > KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-business kmail
> > > [...]
> >
> > Okay, I tried a few combos of that, but KMail thought I was using it
> > for the first time, and it wrote a few extra folders (..cache) in
> > those paths.
> >
> > What line would I need to have for the folder statement, if I was to
> > try that for another path ? At present kmailrc states
> >
> > folders[$e]=$HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
> >
> > Hmm, I assume it may have to be something like
> >
> > folders[$e]=$HOME/$KDEHOME   ???
>
> Hmm, I assumed KMail would use $HOME/.kde-friends/share/apps/kmail/mail
> if it was started with
> KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-friends kmail

I was still trying to force it to use $HOME/Mail/friends/mail as the folder
path though, that may have had something to do with it.

> I have just tested it with a test user account. I logged into this test
> account, started Konsole and from Konsole I started KMail with
> KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-test kmail
>
> This KMail then created the standard folders in
> $HOME/.kde-test/share/apps/kmail/mail
>
> So it appears to work. I haven't done more extensive tests though.

Okay, thanks for testing that.

The method you have used for testing, does it rely on it all being setup with
that kind of structure/heirarchy though ?

Could it be run with
KDEHOME=$HOME/Mail/friends kmail

and also does changing KDEHOME affect any other KDE apps that are running, or
is it a value/setting that is only current for that session ?

Regards,

Peter