[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Peter777 peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 21 09:46:51 GMT 2008

On Friday 21 November 2008 06:22:39 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
> > > You could do something like the following:
> > > cp kmailrc_friends ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
> > > kmail --nofork
> > > cp ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc kmailrc_friends
> > >
> > > You'd put those three lines in a bash script and create similar
> > > files for your different configurations.
> >
> > Okay, thanks. That looks interesting. No doubt I'd possibly need to
> > consider what to do in the event of KMail crashing, and the final
> > 'cp' not being done.
>
> If KMail crashes (and thus exits), then the final 'cp' will be done. The
> execution of the script will not be affect by KMail crashing.

Wouldn't that potentially corrupt kmailrc_friends ?  If KMail crashed, the
config file it is using (kmailrc)  _probably_ wouldn't get updated correctly,
fairly high chance of it being corrupted in a crash.

Then if it (kmailrc_friends) was over-written with kmailrc (in a crash), and
say some mail files/folders had been updated, the data may be out of sync
with the config file.

Possibly some way of not over writing kmailrc_friends in the event of a crash,
and also restoring the data to what it was before the script/bash was run ??

> OTOH, you'd have to make sure that you exit KMail before you log out of
> KDE. So taking some kind of percautions might still be a good idea.

Yes, I always make sure all apps are closed before I shutdown Ubuntu. I don't
actually log out as such, being the only user.

That script is a good way to do it though, I'd just like some redundancy built
into it. in the event of a crash (even Pegasus has corrupted some files, but
that is more of a WINE issue I'm sure).

Thanks,

Peter