[kdepim-users] Moving KMail to another computer

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 30 18:39:13 GMT 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
> I'm moving KMail to another computer, and just wanted to be sure of
> _all_ the files I need.
>
> * Data (mail folders) - this is specified in the config file
> * config file - ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
>
> Now, I notice there is an a file called 'emailidentities' in
> ~/.kde/share/config , that looks like part of KMail

This is mentioned in KMail's manual (cf.
http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/kdepim/kmail/faq.html#id2570357).

;-)

> Are there any other files please ?

I had a look in ~/.kde/share/config/ looking for files related to KMail
and found the following:

~/.kde/share/config/kmail.antispamrc - This file is never changed by
KMail. It can be changed by a user to add support for a new anti-spam
tool to KMail.
~/.kde/share/config/kmail.eventsrc - This file contains the
configuration of the "New mail arrived" notification available via
Settings->Configure Notifications.
~/.kde/share/config/kmailsnippetrc - This file contains the text
snippets that can be inserted in the composer. Interestingly enough, I
have no idea how those snippets can be used. *shrug*

Then there's

~/.kde-cvs/share/apps/kmail/kmmainwin.rc,
~/.kde-cvs/share/apps/kmail/kmcomposerui.rc - Those two files contain
the configuration of toolbar and shortcuts available via
Settings->Configure Shortcuts and Settings->Configure Toolbars in
KMail's main window and in KMail's composer window.

I guess now you understand why I always copy all of ~/.kde to a new
computer. (Actually, I always copy my complete home directory.) ;-)