[kdepim-users] Scrambled text when replying to a mail with an attachment...

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri May 23 19:05:37 BST 2008

On Friday 23 May 2008, r bartlett wrote:
> I have noticed that in certain cases (in this case, when sending mail
> to a Japanese cellphone) they receive scrambled letters when I reply
> IF the message they sent me had an attachment. For example: A: sends
> B normal message in Japanese
> B: replies to A
> A: can read the mail just fine
>
> A: sends B message with a photo or attachment
> B: replies to A
> A: gets "mojibake"scrambled text
>
> I suspect this is due to text-coding. I do not know if the cellphone
> uses UTF-8 or EUC or Shift-JIS. But it is repeatable. Normally,
> there's no problem sending or receiving emails. It's only when
> replying to an email with an attachment that the receiver's mail gets
> scrambled.  Any ideas?  I'm running Kmail 1.9.9 on a current Fedora
> Core 8 system, but this problem was also the same in an older FC5
> system.

Yes, this sounds like a problem with the text encoding. I suggest to
check which encoding is used for messages that are readable and which
encoding is used for messages that are not readable. To determine the
encoding have a look at the message source (with View->View Source) and
look for charset=something.