[kdepim-users] bug or just freak behavior

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 26 16:21:15 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 13:19:44 O. Sinclair wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 March 2008 13:01:37 O. Sinclair wrote:
> >> I have in most cases set the "keep replies in same folder" option as I
> >> prefer to find the replies with the other mail I consider should be in
> >> the subfolders. Most of the time it means that when I reply the outgoing
> >> mail stays in the folder it is "sent from".
> >>
> >> BUT I have noticed that if I change the subject it will go to the "Sent
> >> Mail" folder instead. I don't know if this is a bug or intentional?
> >> Anyone can replicate/confirm it?
> >>
> >> And I would still love the General Option: In all folders but Inbox keep
> >> replies in same folder...
> >
> > Occasionally, quite rarely, thankfully, I see this behaviour, with a
> > message being sent to the local sent-mail folder.  It is almost always
> > followed by the blank email problem caused by corrupted index files.  I
> > can't reproduce it reliably, so there's no way I can give the developers
> > information that would fix it.  It's a good job it's not frequent.
>
> Maybe I should have added that I only use pop3-servers, no IMAP or dIMAP
> or such.

The only difference that makes is that I have a Local inbox and sent-mail and
a Remote one.

> I am not sure what you mean by "the blank email problem caused
> by corrupted index files"?

It's frequently been discussed that occasionally people find that they have
messages in inbox, sent-mail or another folder that, when clicked on, show up
as an empty message with no subject and a date of 1st January 1970.  The cure
for it is to immediately shut down kmail, find the index files relating to
the folder with the message in, and delete the index files.  When kmail is
re-opened the index files are regenerated and all messages are still there
except the one that had gone blank.  That's why it's essential not to click
on any others, but to shut down immediately.

It's not a frequent occurence, but it does happen occasionally.  It seems to
me that I see it happen if something causes kmail to crash.  I think that's
when the corruption starts, but it's not noticed until you access the folder
with the corrupt index file.

Anne