[kdepim-users] Understanding kmail imap resources

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Mar 24 10:29:37 GMT 2008

Am Monday, 24. March 2008 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Monday 24 March 2008 09:33, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > >
> > > I guess I did.  I now have the correct folders under
> > > dimap.inbox, and they all have the correct icons and
> > > properties.  Sadly, fetching the mail updates the inbox but
> > > does not fetch the calendar nor the addressbook.
> > >
> > > Attached is the relevant part of mail.info.  0.40 is the dimap
> > > server, 0.70 is the client box.
> >
> > Are you shure the contact and calendar data are stored in the
> > imap server? Can you look into the dovecot server files or with a
> > different imap client?
>
> Thunderbird doesn't seem to have a dimap type, and that's the only
> other client I have installed at the moment.

please check with thunderbird with normal (online) imap connection if
the contact and calendar are in the corresponding Contact and
Calendar folders on the dovecot server. If not, it is no wonder, that
the client box can not see the data.

> However, under
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/.877071412.directory/.INBOX.directory
>/ I can see the resource folders.  The calendar folder has 751
> entries in cur.  The contacts folder has 217 entries in cur.  The
> contact entries look like email messages, each containing a vcard.
> The calendar entries look similar.  I would have said that they are
> OK, but they seem to be not checked by the client box.  The
> relevant subscriptions are all checked.  Any ideas?

To get things right: you have added new contacts and appointments on
the server box. These date are stored in your .kde directory and the
content is shown in the addressbook and calendar respectively. So
this part is OK.

So we have to make sure, the data are stored on the imap server as
well (while/after hitting ctrl-l or check mails on all accounts in
kmail). For this please use thunderbird to confirm the existence on
your dovecot server.

> Aside - as long as I have the client open with a non-working dimap
> connection I get multiple copies of message in my inbox.  Closing
> kmail on the client box stops this happening.  Hopefully, once we
> have found the fault this problem will disappear.

Yes, I had strange behaviour with kmail if there is a second
connection to the same user on the same server. May be this is the
case for you too.

> Anne

Martin