[kdepim-users] Is it possible to search multiple IMAP folders in a single search?

Kris Kersten mmmbugs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 22:22:00 GMT 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008 04:31:20 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2008, Kris Kersten wrote:
> > I recently moved all my mail, calendars, todos, etc. from Evolution
> > to Kontact since I spend most of my time in KDE and enjoy Kontact's
> > integration.  The transition has been entirely painless except for a
> > single point.  I haven't been able to find a way to create a search
> > that spans multiple IMAP folders. For example, I have five IMAP
> > accounts and I'd like to create a "Sent Items" search folder that
> > matches all messages in all of my five IMAP sent mail folders.
> > Similarly, it might be convenient to create a search folder that
> > catalogues the IMAP inboxes of all five accounts.  So far I haven't
> > been able to figure out a way to do this.  In creating a search
> > folder via Edit -> Find Messages, it seems that it's only possible to
> > search either "All local folders" or a single user-specified folder,
> > be it local or IMAP.  Am I missing something, or is there no way to
> > search across multiple IMAP folders?
>
> It is not possible to search across multiple IMAP folders. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply Ingo.  That's what I was afraid of.  After doing a bit of
research on the status of KMail's search functionality, I uncovered a
wishlist entry on bugs.kde.org (Bug 5694) that specifically requests the
ability to search an arbitrary subset of mail folders.  Does anyone know if
this is in the works?  I sort of doubt it as the original report dates back
to June of 2000.  Without this feature I may have to go back to Evolution.
It's a bit frustrating since KMail/Kontact is superior in almost every other
aspect.